Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What is it About Christmas Pageants?

Last Sunday was Christmas Pageant day at the Cathedral.  It is growing every year and, as often happens, I now notice how important Christmas Pageants are in many places.  I am just amazed at the depth of commitment to it by so many.  Almost every child and young person who can takes part -- it seems only those who are away on the day aren't involved.  I don't think anything we do all year with families has such wide participation and support.

This all points to something deep, even in times like these.  I can't even begin to unwind the mix of joy, pride, awe, nostalgia, hope, love, and so much more that the Christmas Pageant pulls up.  Most of all, it surely is the story itself; still speaking the hopes and fears of all the years -- including these years on the other side of Christendom.

A wonderful note from our Cathedral Christmas Pageant this year.  I have pointed out for years that the Bible says nothing about "Three Kings."  It is purely legend (but not a bad one -- I'll put them in my Creche and sing  "We Three Kings" with all my heart).  What the Bible does say is "magi," which is probably closer to wizards than kings.  So, this year, we had wizards (looking very Harry Potter inspired) following the star.

No comments:

Post a Comment